Sunday, December 19, 2010

Book Review: Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury

Karen Kingsbury’s, Unlocked was a great read! I am not usually a reader of fiction, but after several months of heavy, serious reading, I went looking for something light and enjoyable. Unlocked is about two families, both struggling to deal with the weight of life and all of it’s entanglements. One family deals with money and time issues- placing their priorities completely off balance, while the other family deals with a disorder in a child- placing their world off balance too. 
Having studied and worked with families living with the same disorder that Kingsbury’s character’s have, I found her descriptions of the coping mechanisms, therapies offered, and unique behaviors to be fairly accurate. The author did her homework when it came to writing correctly about this diagnosis. 
I also learned that Kingsbury often takes parts of “real-life” and uses it in her novels. For instance, in this particular book, she used the name of an actual person for the main character of this book. I like that! 
From the perspective of an avid non-fiction reader, this was refreshing, quick and heart-tugging. 
A copy of the book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. Thanks Zondervan!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Well! My dad gave me her copies of Take One, Take Two, and Take Three. I have never heard of this author before and was unsure about how much I would get into them.

Your review is helpful for when I read these! Thanks Lindsay!!!