Monday, March 12, 2012

The 7th Year- Week 3




Safe Space

This week Alicia asked us to add another layer to a map we have been creating over the past weeks. The detail and personal moments aren’t something I’d like to share with the current and future world via the internet, so I will keep those to myself. However, I was struck by another part of the reading this week. 
Alicia mentions three points about the biblical 7th year; rest the land and hear the law, release slaves and cancel debts, and make no profit and give generously. Can you imagine being commanded to do these things? This type of leadership model doesn’t sound like it would work in our economy. But that’s exactly it. This isn’t a command given to work within “the system”. God’s ways aren’t bound by our ways. 
I can not begin to imagine what it would feel like to take a year to simply listen to the Word of God being spoken over me. 
What about my school loans? I seriously would not know what I would do if I got a letter from my lenders stating that my college loans had been cancelled. Yes! Bring it on Deuteronomy! 
And since my loans would be paid off and we would no longer have a mortgage, living profitless and giving generously...well, that would just be fun! 
Imagine what it would be like. Imagine the freedom. Imagine the weightlessness. Imagine the possibilities of movement, change, growth. Imagine looking up and enjoying the view rather than keeping eyes down to the plow. Imagine taking it all in. 
Imagine the space in your mind- the uncluttered thinking. 
Imagine the space in your time- the freedom to rest and enjoy. 
Imagine the space in your heart- the healing that’d take place. 
Alicia writes that space is telling. 
About a year ago, I began thinking a great deal about space. 
My understanding is that space equals freedom. Freedom to move about, explore, grow. Freedom to challenge yourself in all areas. Freedom to wiggle, experiment, stretch
But I also understand that space requires trust. Trust that someone else has all danger at bay. Trust that appropriate and safe boundary lines have been established and marked clearly. Trust that responsibilities will be tended. 
I think about this idea of space quite a bit. 
I think about fish needing a bigger tank to grow. 
I think about risking it all to tackle something bigger, harder, different, unfamiliar. 
I think about my husband wanting to ice climb (is that what it’s called?), cycle for more miles than I care to think about it, summit tough mountains, and race harder/faster than he’s ever done before. He wants to challenge himself and push past his current experiences. He wants to explore. 
And I dream of a place where I can drop the worries of my world at the road and enjoy safe space, true freedom, deep rest, utmost protection. 

No comments: